Mgr. Tomáš Foltýnek, Ph.D.
Senior Researcher for Plagiarism Detection and Semantic Analysis
Office: FC 1.20
Tomáš Foltýnek is a senior researcher at the Media Technology lab at the University of Wuppertal, Germany. He also works part-time as a lecturer and academic integrity coordinator at the Faculty of Business and Economics, Mendel University in Brno, Czech Republic. He has been dealing with plagiarism detection and prevention since 2008. He was involved in the development of the plagiarism detection system for Mendel University in Brno. Now, he deals with semantic analysis using WikiData and with potential of blockchain technology for plagiarism detection and prevention, as well as for prevention of other forms of academic misconduct.
Besides technical aspects of plagiarism detection, his research focuses also on plagiarism and academic integrity policies. He was involved in projects "Impact of policies for plagiarism in higher education across Europe" and "South-East European Project on Policies for Academic Integrity". Now, he is main coordinator of the Erasmus+ Strategic Partnerships project "European Network for Academic Integrity" and "Project on Academic Integrity in Caucasus, Kazakhstan and Turkey". Since 2013, he has been organizing and co-organizing international conference Plagiarism across Europe and Beyond, as well as local workshops about plagiarism and contract cheating.
He is representing the Czech Republic in the Pan-European Platform for Ethics, Transparency and Integrity in Education established by the Council of Europe and he is also a member of its Steering group. Since 2017, he is the President of the Board of the European Network for Academic Integrity.
|2018 – present|| Senior researcher
Media Technology Lab, University of Wuppertal, Germany
|2004 – present|| University teacher / research assistant
Department of Informatics, Faculty of Business and Economics, Mendel University in Brno, Czech Republic
|2017 – present|| President of the Board
European Network for Academic Integrity
|2016 – present|| Member of Steering group
Pan-European Platform for Ethics, Transparency and Integrity in Education, Council of Europe
TEACHING AND PROJECTS
List of all publications available here.
- Mahmud, S., Bretag, T., & Foltýnek, T. (2018). Students’ Perceptions of Plagiarism Policy in Higher Education: a Comparison of the United Kingdom, Czechia, Poland and Romania. Journal of Academic Ethics. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10805-018-9319-0
- Foltýnek, T., & Králíková, V. (2018). Analysis of the Contract Cheating Market in Czechia. International Journal for Educational Integrity, 14(1), 4. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40979-018-0027-8
- Glendinning, I., Lancaster, T., Foltýnek, T., Dlabolová, D., Linkeschová, D., & Calhoun, B. (2018). South-East European Project on Policies for Academic Integrity (Vol. 5). Strasbourg: Council of Europe.
- Všianský, R., Dlabolová, D., & Foltýnek, T. (2017). Source code plagiarism detection for PHP language. European Journal of Business Science and Technology, 3(2). https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.11118/ejobsat.v3i2.100
- Foltýnek, T., & Glendinning, I. (2015). Impact of policies for plagiarism in higher education across Europe: Results of the project. Acta Universitatis Agriculturae et Silviculturae Mendelianae Brunensis, 63(1), 207–216.